False alarms, real consequences

False+alarms%2C+real+consequences+

The blaring wail of the fire alarm has been a common sound around campus, highlighting Monte Vista’s surprising rate of triggered alarms, with four in the first two months of school.

In 2013-2014, a majority of the fire alarms were caused during the installment of the new fire-security system and construction of the new building. These alarms were accidental and largely unavoidable due to construction and other errors.

This year on the other hand, every single one of the four false-alarms that were triggered were because of hookah pen use on campus.

Many students, however, continue to bring their vapor devices for use at school, despite the fact that they have been manned, often with some ‘alarming’ consequences.

Just one puff can set off the fire alarm system, which sounds the alarms and notifies the fire department. If the office is able to locate where the alarm is set off and determine that there is no threat, the fire authorities can be stopped from coming. If the office doesn’t make it in time however, the fire department races up to the school to investigate, just like they did on September 29th at lunch. Repeated visits can result in a $1,200 service fee from the Fire Department, for each false alarm.

The person responsible for the alarm can face some significant penalties. Stated right in the student handbook, anyone responsible for a false alarm can face ‘imprisonment in a county jail or….a fine not exceeding $1,000, or both’ (pg. 22). This means that students will have a misdemeanor mark on their record on top of fines and potential jail time, in addition to the repayment of the fire department service charges.

On top of damaging effects to the perpetrator, the large volume of fire alarms has implications for everyone at Monte Vista. For instance, during a fire alarm, the fire doors and vents in the 200 and 400 building will automatically close as a way to minimise fire damage. The only way these countermeasures can be undone is by disabling the buildings’ systems, meaning no heat or air conditioning for extended periods.

On top of all this is the general disruption of class periods and lunch times. Many students have reported that the recurrence of these fire alarms had become a nuisance, interrupting class activities and shortening lunch times.

Students line up behind the engineering after yet another lunch time fire alarm on October 6th. These lunch disruptions are caused by hookah and vapor use in the bathrooms.

“After a while, the fire alarms become annoying, and it disrupts my class time.” junior Noah Sol said.

Officials at the school have expressed a similar view on the disrution

“I believe the administration shares the same view that enough is enough,” Assistant Principal Mr. Ballou said. “Students just want to eat their lunches and take the tests that they are prepared to take.”