MV Men’s Soccer Slides their way to an NCS title

MV men’s soccer team celebrating their North Coast Section title at the MV field. They beat Vintage High School located in Napa, California by a score of 1-0 on February 24, 2023.

Photo via @mvmenssoccer Instagram

Monte Vista High School’s men’s varsity soccer team sealed the deal to clinch the 2023 North Coast Section (NCS) title following a win against Vintage High School in the NCS finals on February 25, 2023 at Monte Vista.

The Mustangs finished their regular season with an 16-1-5 record, good enough for second place in the East Bay Athletic League (EBAL). The team had the most victories against Division 1 teams in all of NCS and finished the season with 68 goals scored and only 10 goals given up. 

In the first round of NCS, they emerged with a 4-0 victory at home against Foothill High School. The team then advanced to the quarter-finals where they played De La Salle High School at home, prevailing with a 2-0 victory. 

On the road, they battled against Dougherty Valley in the semi-finals. A goal from Monte Vista junior James Downes secured the 1-0 victory for the team. 

The Mustangs’ final step to secure the NCS men’s soccer title was in the championship game against Vintage High School. In a tight matchup, the game went to overtime, but the team prevailed thanks to a late overtime goal from junior Brennan Dew. 

“Winning felt better than words can say,” said junior Jack Gill. “The unbelievable rush of accomplishment will stay in my thoughts for a while.”

The Mustangs won their fourth NCS title in the last 43 years. They also became the first Monte Vista  team ever to punch their ticket to the California Interscholastic Foundation (CIF) state tournament. 

During the first round of the CIF state tournament, they faced off against Alisal High School at home and secured their first-ever state victory in a low-scoring 1-0 victory. Unfortunately, the Mustangs’ season came to an end after a heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Davis High School in the second round. 

A disappointing end to an otherwise historic season, Monte Vista’s 2022-23 men’s soccer team will be one to remember for years to come.