Daniel Maneloveg

Going the extra mile

Senior Daniel Maneloveg runs the 1600 and 3200 meter race at one of Monte Vista’s track meet.

Sam O'Connell, Staff Writer

With spring sports underway, and the winter sport season soon ending, college commitments have been taking place.

One month ago, senior Daniel Maneloveg has committed to University of San Francisco (USF) for track. He typically runs the 800 (two lap), 1600 (one mile) and 3200 (two mile) meter races. After announcing his commitment to USF on February 17th, Daniel is still hard at work during his final high school season.

On March 4th, Monte Vista had the Dan Gabor Invitational, which was its first of the season. In the invitational Daniel ran his typical events. Daniel set the standard high for himself and achieved a personal record of 2:10.53 minutes in the 800 meter.

Although he excels at the 800 meter, Daniel’s top two races are the 1600 and 3200 meter.  His career best for the 1600 was 4:21 and 3200 is 9:33. As a junior, Daniel qualified for the 1600 in the NCS Meet of Champions. Last year this event took place at the UC Berkley campus.

Head coach Jaleel Kindell think that Daniel is a valuable asset to the team.

“Daniel adds accountability,” Kindell said. “He is here every single day on time and ready to work.  For a senior to be that dialed in is impressive.  It is very easy to fall into ‘senioritis’ when you are at that point in your career…but not Daniel.”

This uncommon skill is probably what has led Daniel to such great success.

As one of the captains on the team this year, Daniel also leads with one of the top times in EBAL.

On top of just practices, Daniel also runs 60 miles a week and does his own Saturday workouts. Additionally, Daniel sometimes runs before school, requiring him to wake up considerably early.

He is a top competitor of track adding to the list of talented and committed athletes.