The student news site of Monte Vista High School

The Stampede

SAT & AP Tests…How much is enough?

Katrina Flores, Managing Editor

If fearing for college debt isn’t enough, what about paying for all of the standardized and AP tests you take in high school?

Many students are taking these tests to have a better chance at getting into college, but testing agencies have brought overpriced to a whole new level.

Currently, the price to take the SAT is $54.50, the ACT with writing is priced at $56.50, and the ACT without writing is $39.50. This price can be too much for some people and it has been proven that some are having difficulty paying the fees.

Students who cannot afford to pay such fees must fill out a fee waiver which seems like a long process and the waiver does not actually cover all the fees. It only covers the basic registration fee, which is the normal fee that each person pays for the test they register for. The waiver also does not cover the late registration fee, your test date, score reports, and other kind of services to the test. It is unfair that students have to go through the hassle to take this test while simultaneously worrying about doing well on them.

Not to mention there are other prices one must pay in preparing for these standardized tests. These include preparatory classes and tutors. f you are not careful preparing for these tests, you spend a lot of money, and all that money you have goes away on these tests, and the people who have it hard can not afford to be wasting their money. Also, there’s another factor of expenses if a student wants to take the test multiple times. There’s enough stress I feel that the pressure just builds on students having to think so hard about these test.    

There are some ways to save money while trying to pay these tests. There are four steps to help: take advantage of SAT and ACT school day, know what colleges that you are interested in before signing up, use free or low-cost ACT and SAT apps, and get free resources from websites. If you do not want to spend a lot of money, try this out. I believe that students should give this method a try. It would help ease the pressure on them.

Even though these tests cost lots of money: they are definitely worth it. It is more likely to help you get into the colleges that you want. People may not have the money to pay for them, but there are ways for people to save money; it may not be a big difference. Even though there are ways to save a bit of money, the prices need to be lowered.