New Classes at MV Allow Students More Options For Courses

Mrs. Kither lectures on Classical India to her 1st 
     period AP World History class. She uses the white-
     board to aid her in drawing a timeline.

Mrs. Kither lectures on Classical India to her 1st period AP World History class. She uses the white- board to aid her in drawing a timeline.

Lauren Walker, Staff Writer

Marine Biology, AP World History, and Biotech Lab and Research are just a few of the new classes being offered at MV this year.

This year at Monte Vista, there are a lot of new classes being offered for students to take this year. Along with the ones previously mentioned, Men’s Ensemble, Art and Animation and AP Physics 2 are also being taught.

Ms. Faerber, the Marine Biology teacher, is very excited about her class. Marine biology is a science class offered to Juniors and Seniors who have taken biology and geometry.

Faeber was previously a marine biologist before she became a teacher. Even though starting a new class can be a lot of work because of scheduling and preparing, Ms. Faerber is really excited about it and thinks it’s completely worth it.

“I’ve been waiting for Monte Vista to start this course.” said Ms. Faerber.

Another new class this year, AP World is taught by Mrs. Kither. It is the new history class for sophomores to take instead of regular World History and AP Euro. Although it is more work than just a regular history class, it will teach students valuable skills like note taking strategies and also improve their writing.

Even though it’s a new class, there are three periods of AP World History being taught this year. Mrs. Kither, however expects it to even out with AP Euro in the next few years.

“It’s a new class so it didn’t have a reputation for being easy or hard.” said Mrs. Kither.

Men’s Ensemble, which is a choir class for freshmen boys, was added this year too. Mrs. Reed teaches all the choir classes at MV. Men’s Ensemble splits up the freshmen boys from the girls because their voices are very different at that age.

“Both girls and boys’s voices are still settling,” said Mrs. Reed. “I just really wanted to be able to focus on the boy’s voices and to be able to focus on the girl’s voices.”

The freshmen chorus class this year is another reason for the divide of classes. There are a total of 80 freshman in chorus this year. Mrs. Reed wanted to be able to work with them thoroughly so they could be ready for competition. This seems to be working well for both Reed and the freshmen.

“They’re incredible!” said Reed. “They are so good. They have a lot of energy. They love it and they sing awesome!”

The new classes this year are sure to make a big difference on academic life.