MV shines at Valley Teen Idol

Abigail Vogeley, Staff Writer

With so many talented performers at MV, it is no surprise that six of our Mustangs have made it to the finals in the Valley Teen Idol competition.

Sponsored by the San Ramon Valley Rotary, Valley Teen Idol is a singing and performing competition for middle and high schoolers.

One of the finalists, Abbey Watson, was interested in competing after accompanying for a couple of her friends last year.

“I entered Valley Teen Idol because I saw how much fun the contestants had last year and I thought it would be a good experience,” Watson said.

Throughout the month of January, auditions were held, allowing performers to sing a one minute, unaccompanied song. About 100 students auditioned, and from that a group of 28 people were selected to compete in the semi-finals.

The semi-finals were on February 21, where each contestant performed a three minute song of their choice, ranging from pop songs to broadway showtunes.

At this stage, the audience got a say in who moved on in the competition. For the semi-finals, the audience got to vote for three people to move on. The results are based both on the audience’s choices and the choices of the judges.

After the votes were tallied and the judges had discussed, the 16 finalists were announced. Among these 16 were six Monte Vista students: Abbey Watson, Talia Stivender, Audrey Butler, and a band with members Kyle Wooten, Weston Wittek, and Ethan Spain.

“I was excited and surprised when I made it into the finals,” Watson said.

Although it was Watson’s first year entering, other acts have been competing for a little longer. The band, named “the Chosen”, with Wooten as the drummer, Wittek on guitar, and Spain as the bassist, competed last year.

Forming in 6th grade after a school project, “the Chosen” found out about Teen Valley Idol through their middle school band teacher, Mrs. Edington. After advancing to the finals last year, the band decided to compete again.

This competition has not only allowed performers to compete, but has also allowed them to learn more musically.

“I have learned that stage presence affects how well you do in the performance,” Wooten said. “I would tell someone entering [the competition] that stage presence is everything.”

Watson agrees that stage presence is important in your performance, and that song choice is just as important as the quality of someone’s voice.

With so many talented contestants, it was tough to advance to the finals, and extremely talented performers were cut. Several other Monte Vista students performed in the semi-finals, including Becca Clemmons.

“I’ve learned a lot about dealing with not being picked for something, and being satisfied with your own performances,” Clemmons said.

Regardless of place or advancement, every performer should be proud of the achievements they have made by participating in Valley Teen Idol.

Mrs. Reed applauses the students that participated this year.

“They’re fantastic,” Mrs. Reed, the choir director, said. “I’m really proud of every single one of them.”

Come out and support the finalists on March 29th!