Mother-daughter volleyball success

Monte Vista Womens Varsity Volleyball team celebrates their NCS win in the finals against San Ramon.  The win was the first time ever in Monte Vista history that Womens Volleyball took first in NCS and moved on to state.

Monte Vista Women’s Varsity Volleyball team celebrates their NCS win in the finals against San Ramon. The win was the first time ever in Monte Vista history that Women’s Volleyball took first in NCS and moved on to state.

Maddie Dailey, Staff Writer

Monte Vista Women’s Volleyball has had quite a 2014 season including many wins, almost no losses, and some awards along the way.

This season varsity posted a record of 13-1 in league, JV came out with 13-1 as well and Freshman had a perfect 14-0.  Varsity’s overall record was 30-7 however, for the first time since 1996, women’s volleyball took the EBAL league title.  Also, surpassing all previous records here at Monte Vista we also took first place in NCS and moved on to the state tournament.

Unfortunately, the ladies suffered a tough loss against Homestead in the first round of state.  But that didn’t get them down, because records had been set, the season had been amazing, and bonds had been strengthened.

In addition to their record, there were other events to be celebrated.  Senior Lauren Utchen was the league’s Most Valuable Player and seniors Hailey Lindberg and Natalie Brooker were First Team All-League.  Also, seniors Rachel Underwood and Kelly Strand received Second Team All-League along with junior Maclaine Fields with the Honorable Mention.

But that’s not all, Varsity Head Coach JJ Utchen and daughter and player Lauren Utchen both received prestigious and amazing awards.  Coach Utchen was awarded the Bay Area News Group’s East Bay Girls Volleyball Coach of the Year and Lauren was given the Bay Area News Group’s East Bay Girls Volleyball Player of the Year.

“I was really happy when I found out but I was also really shocked because there are a lot of other good people out there,” Lauren said.

These two awards going to the same team in the same sport is one thing, but awarding it to a mother and a daughter is believed to be unprecedented.

“I was shocked,” Coach Utchen said.  “I thought Lauren had a good shot at getting it because of her stats and she really deserved it.  But when I was talking to the reporter, he had already told me about Lauren, and then he said there’s more awards for the Mustangs.  And I thought oh great, and he said it’s you.”

The two awards were both announced at the end of the year volleyball banquet held Monday, December 8th with a little help from athletic director Mr. Powers and principal Mrs. Terranova.