Are you on the way to your dream job?

Simrah+Farrukh%2C+pursuing+her+passion+as+a+photographer+as+she+photographs+the+beauty+of+the+bay+in+San+Francisco.+

Simrah Farrukh, pursuing her passion as a photographer as she photographs the beauty of the bay in San Francisco.

People are constantly motivating others to pursue their passion. Although not all students in high school know exactly what they want to do with their life in the future; these kids do.

Many kids stress over trying to find an impressive internship, or overloading on volunteer work to create impressive college resumes, but how much is really enough? Are we stressing out too much or too little?

Simrah Farrukh, sophomore at MV, has always aspired to be a photographer. What started out as fun and a past time hobby has evolved into a business within the past three years. She has photographed for traditional weddings, a musician, multiple solo photoshoots, and has photographed the precious time with her friends.

“What inspired me was pictures in magazines and I decided I wanted to do something like that,” she said. “In the future I plan on becoming either a wedding, or fashion photographer.”

Simrah has received unlimited support from her friends and family. Her photographs are truly professional looking, and with the amount of photoshoot requests she receives; her early career is erupting into a profitable, steady activity.

People like Simrah have taken their hobbies and favorite pass-time activities and turned them into a career for the future. If internships or volunteer work won’t necessarily guide you to your future career, experiment with your hobbies and talents to see what you can do to excel.

Internships are generally harder to come across, however if you’re interested in working in a specific field; you should get in touch with how and where to start interning.

Why are Internships so Important by Beth Braccio Herring, discusses how internships can help immensely with the future and increase your chances of receiving a higher job after graduating.

Melissa Benca, a director of the career services at Marymount Manhattan college, explained how internships have become an essential part of today’s future.

“Graduating students with paid or unpaid internships on their résumé have a much better chance at landing a full-time position upon graduation,” she said.

Junior, Isabella Ordaz, here at MV holds an internship at the Valley Sentinel, a local newspaper for San Ramon Valley residents. She works around the head editors in the office and has gained a professional experience while aiming to pursue a career in journalism.

“Although I’m not interested in reporting on the type of small-town culture the paper delivers, I’m glad I’ve been able to diversify my experience by currently working within it,” junior, Isabella said.

“The work I do in this internship will also be good to add to my portfolio as a journalist, and the experience will look good on my college resume,” she said.

Internships improve your work experience and direct you to possible careers down the road. Ms. Haberl, who runs the career center, believes that internships are an important way to show colleges who you are.

“What colleges are trying to gain from your extracurricular activities is an understanding of how you are using your free time to explore and understand yourself and the world you live in,” she said.

“High school students are better served to look into volunteering in their communities as well as demonstrating leadership through clubs or other outside activities,” Ms. Haberl continued.  “Explore your passions even if they are not aligned with a Career Path.”

Many kids have taken a stand to become involved in starting projects abroad with the help of their peers. Maya Ganeshan, sophomore at MV created her own project called Bags for the Blind.

Maya helped deliver a specific type of technology, the JAWS software to help the visually impaired students in Little Flower Convent School, located in Chennai, India. This software is voice synthesizing and can translate actions from a computer screen verbally to the students.

After talking to the headmistress of the school, she was able to formulate a way to raise over 1,100 dollars in hopes of improving education. She did this by selling decorative tote bags around her community.

“I became more integrated with my own community and I helped a community that was thousands of miles away,” sophomore, Maya said. “It was a phenomenal experience all together.”

Volunteer work is specified to broaden your knowledge of the world and to become a part of specific organizations which will benefit you in the future. Not all internships or volunteer work will pertain to a specific career path, however the experience will be beneficial and can change the lives of others, like the project Maya started.

Different types of volunteer work require different skills and are heavily associated with your personal schedule. If volunteer work isn’t something you’re able to do with school work, outside activities, and sports; opt for community service activities.

Monte Vista updates their bulletin and News on the homepage with upcoming opportunities for jobs, volunteer work, internships, etc.

Internships from companies or local businesses aren’t generally handed to you themselves. Most companies won’t advertise internships, but wait for people approaching them. If you’re interested in working with a specific company or type of business, do research, call ahead and inquire about the possible opportunities.

As for volunteer work, this varies from organizations and community service. Get in touch with local associations who target high school students for volunteer hours.

Through different internships and work experience, you may find the ideal career for your future. Internships and volunteer work will increase your chances of getting a higher paying job in the future and will broaden your work experience overall.

You won’t know where you’re headed until you approach the real world and gain an understanding on how these activities will lead you to your career path.