Blood Drive

Blood+Drive

Of the many opportunities to serve the community at Monte Vista, one stands out from the rest.

Every year, Monte Vista holds blood drives to gather blood for people across the country. This year it’s even more crucial to collect blood, because the country has been experiencing a shortage.

“It’s great people are donating blood because were in a shortage,” said the co-president of the blood drive,” said senior Jennifer Lee.

Lee went on to explain that because blood expires, it’s an extremely rare resource, and it’s hard to find good blood which is why an affluent high school is a great place to hold a blood drive.

Besides the obvious need in the community, donating blood is also morally beneficial to students.

“I think this is such a great thing because in high school everyone wants to help others and this is the easiest and most efficient way to save lives.” said Lee.

The reasons that students give for donating blood can range from simple to specific.

“I think giving blood is really important,” said senior Max (?), who was simply there to do what he could for the community.

Other students have stories and reasons that go deeper than just wanting to help out. Junior Ali McManus shares the story of a 13 year old named Gregory she was close to when she lived in the Midwest. Gregory contracted a rare autoimmune disorder, and because they couldn’t find a blood donor in time, Gregory passed away last July, a year after he was diagnosed. The Make A Wish Foundation started a foundation in his name for kids like Gregory, called Hero’s Impact.

“I feel an obligation to help in any way I can.” said McManus.

Whatever your reason is, donating blood is a great way to help save lives. There is always a need for blood, so students can take advantage of school blood drives and donate to the community. Another MV blood drive is scheduled to take place on April 23, and students are encouraged to sign up and donate.

“It’s a great way to show kids they can help,” said Lee. Students do have the power to help, and a great way to start is by donating blood.