Life skills ignored?

Melody Schwartz, Senior Staff Writer

An education should involve learning life skills that a person will carry with them after college in order to navigate relationships and careers and be a well-rounded, successful person.

Though high school and college is excellent in teaching many valuable skills, schools don’t teach many necessary skills that are needed to succeed and thrive in life in general. These include financial responsibilities and investments, how to think logically, and applications to real life events that have a possibility of occurring in the future.

First of all is money. The importance of handling money responsibly is obviously valuable. In school, the curriculum does not focus much on personal finances, saving or investing. Although students do have the option of attending a personal finance class, not all students have room in their schedules.

Along with finances and money skills, there are plenty of their experiences and skills students are missing out on. The advisory period could be the perfect outlet for this time. Instead of study periods nearly every single Tuesday, the period could be dedicated to teaching students about life skills.

There is obviously no way to perfect managing time for these lessons and it cannot necessarily ensure that advisory would be enough time for students to experience these lessons, but it’s better than completely neglecting the teachings of these skills.

As teenagers go off to college and furthermore begin their lives, there are many skills that they may not have learned that they will be potentially be put to the test on. From home and car repair, to financing and credit, there are endless lessons that could be taught.

Home repair is one. As young people will become home owners, they may face complications and costly repairs and replacements to their homes. Knowing how to fix your home could save endless amounts of money and stress. It is a valuable skill that people will use for their entire lives.

In almost a packaged deal, car repair should be headlined. Regular maintenance can save on repair bills, such as changing the oil every so many miles. Also, changing the oil and oil filter yourself is an additional way to save money.

Besides home and auto repairs, money will be a big challenge for many students starting their lives on their own. During the advisory period or even from the schools daily bulletin, tips and tricks regarding credit and other money investments could be taught.

Learning how to establish and maintain good credit is a very valuable skill not taught in school. We all start with no credit, which is not bad, but it’s not necessarily helpful to lenders, and thus good credit needs to be established.

Last but certainly no least is manners. Manners are indispensable, and using them properly will make good impressions with family, friends, teachers, bosses, acquaintances and many others. Manners have steadily been on the decline. Half an hour on proper behavior could have the capability of helping students for the bright futures ahead of them.

Whether life skills will ever be incorporated in schools, it is important for all people to become acquainted with them because at some point or another, everyone will have to face these and make their own decisions.