PE evolves over the years

The Monte Vista physical education curriculum has changed throughout the years due to the progression in district and school standards. 

For the longest time PE was a class that was a way for students to exert energy in a game of kickball or running around the field. Now, it teaches correct techniques while performing workouts involving weights and sprints and building stamina.

Monte Vista PE teacher Natalie Miloslavich  noticed that, throughout the seven years she has worked here as a PE teacher, student participation levels have dropped.

“All of us noticed that the participation levels in almost all PE classes had decreased over time,” Miloslavich said. “ In elementary school and middle school, PE teachers would apply a sports-based program for students, we decided that it was better to move towards a fitness-based PE curriculum.”

In an effort to get students to participate in this class more, around four Monte Vista PE teachers decided to make this change to their curriculum a few years ago. Even with the new curriculum implemented, each PE teacher can make up their own workouts and daily routines, as long as they are all fitness-based. 

Miloslavich also explained that California state standards set in 2005 have been “loosely followed” ever since. 

All the daily activities each teacher requires students to do only consist of six to ten minute workouts, running and team games. None of these activities are strenuous or too intense for students to do. 

Christopher Lum, Monte Vista ninth grade PE teacher, feels very strongly about students grades being purely based on their attitude and effort level in his class, no matter how tough or easy the activity. He strongly believes that PE should be educational and inclusive for everyone regardless of their level of fitness or athletic capability.

“Everyone could participate regardless of athleticism, physical ability, injury, or sports experience” Lum said. 

“Students would be able to learn how movement patterns translate to every sport and life in general, and to distinguish between safe and effective movement patterns and dysfunctional movement patterns,” Lum siad. “I cannot recall ever seeing a student consistently engage in class activities with honest effort and a positive attitude that didn’t earn an A in the class, regardless of their athleticism or physical abilities,” 

With the introduction of this crossfit based program, teachers have gradually noticed a positive shift in most students attitudes, grades, and overall knowledge.