Healthy eating

Vitality bowl is one of the many healthy options available to teenagers around the Bay Area.

Gabby Rodriguez

High school students are becoming more and more conscious of the food that they put in their bodies. Healthy eating has become a popular trend at MV, and many students have made it habit to fuel their bodies with the proper nutrition.

“I definitely feel healthy eating has become a big deal at Monte Vista. Part of it is kids comparing themselves to the other, but many kids just want to live a healthy lifestyle” junior Carina Bender said.

The student’s concerns with eating right do not only pertain to body image. Althletes feel an extreme pressure to eat the correct foods to optimize their workouts and enhance preformance.

So what exactly constitutes “eating healthy”? The key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the phrase “everything is good in moderation”. Junk food it fine once and a while, but there needs to be a balance between sugary junk foods, and vitamin filled vegetables and fruits.

Also, diet is specific to each person. For example, a 300 pound football player would not have the same meal plan as a 120 pound ballerina.

Eating healthy does not mean spending your days chewing on carrot sticks. Many options have become available and appealing to even sugar craving high school students.

Options such as vitality bowl and flame broiler provide healthy and delicious options that give nutrients from all food groups. Even In n Out caters to the new “eating healthy” fad, offering the protien style burger, which is a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.

Students are becoming aware of the nutritional value of what they eat, and search for healthy options that are both affordable and delicious.