Ms. Krier on Special Assignment

Krista Cleary, Staff Writer

When someone mentions high school, most people would just roll their eyes, but not this staff member. She loves working with both the students and the teachers.  

This year is Kathleen Krier’s second year at Monte Vista as a TSA, teacher on special assignment, and she plans to stay in the San Ramon Valley Unified School District.

Krier knew that she wanted to be an educator ever since elementary school when one of her teachers inspired her.

“In fifth grade I had a phenomenal teacher, Ms. Hirsch,” Krier said. “She inspired me to be a teacher.”

Later, Krier realized that she wanted to work with math and technology, she had always been fascinated with the subjects, and now works with materials at Monte Vista.  

Krier graduated from Oconomowoc High School in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, as the first chair percussionist, and first female snare in her school marching band. From there, she went to University of Wisconsin for her teaching credentials, and since then has gone to a number of other schools to accumulate different credentials at places such as Harvard University, Babson College, Boston University, and Cal State East Bay.

Now that she’s at Monte Vista, Krier spends her time helping both students and teachers.

“I usually work several projects in parallel,” Krier said. “[I show] teachers how to use or operate technology and [help] students troubleshooting technology problems.”  

Aside from being a TSA at MV, Krier enjoys spending her time reading, writing, cycling, and hiking in local places such as the Berkeley Hills and Lafayette Reservoir.  

Unfortunately, the prepaid expenses that Ms. Krier came with will run out in June this year. But, Krier has been going to classes to complete a teacher’s credential, and plans on becoming a technology principal in the district, if not at Monte Vista.  

Krier has proved to be a favorite among the students, even though she teaches no class besides her advisory. She helps students with technology problems, or just tries to answer their questions.

“She has helped me so much!” Sophomore Mitchell Lung said. “Whether it was homework, a project, or just needing someone to talk to! She is a wonderful person and is super fun.”  

Krier loves Monte Vista and the people and is greatly impressed by the maturity, compassion, and enthusiasm that the students here show.  

“I love Monte Vista!” Krier said. “There’s such a flurry of activities that celebrate curiosity and intellectual fearlessness.”