A champion’s homecoming

Chris Polo, Staff Writer

From Monte Vista High School to the NBA, Bob Myers has gone full circle back to where it all began.

On October 16, 2015 Monte Vista High School held its homecoming rally. A rally which the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors’ general manager Bob Myers attended. As did the Larry O’Brien championship trophy.

Bob Myers and the Golden State Warriors achieved greatness last season and won their first NBA championship in 40 years over the Cleveland Cavaliers. Bob Myers grew up in Danville, California and is a Monte Vista alumni. It was only fitting that Bob Myers made a return to Monte Vista to share that greatness with his former school at the homecoming rally.

Bob Myers played basketball at Monte Vista during his time here. After Monte Vista he then went on to attend and play basketball for UCLA and won the NCAA championship in 1995. Later he became the general manager for the Warriors and won both the NBA executive of the year award and the NBA title in 2015.

He attended the rally along with the championship trophy which was very special. After the rally students rushed to the field to take pictures with Bob Myers. Students also took pictures with the trophy. Monte Vista sophomore and warriors fan Mark Castro was asked about his reaction to seeing the trophy.

“I was very surprised and excited because I love the Warriors,” Castro said.

Sharing that moment was truly something special and new for Monte Vista. During the rally Bob went on to tell the students to follow their dreams.

“Who knows, maybe one day you could be the next general manager of the Golden State Warriors,” Myers said.