Addressing the dress code

Sumin Lim, Staff Writer

A new dress code, or lack thereof, has been discussed as a new principal steps on board.

Last year’s dress code was fairly modest: two finger width straps, no low V-neck shirts, and longer than fingertip length skirts and shorts. However, this year the old dress code has been only loosely enforced.

Principal Dr. Kevin Ahern wants to reform the dress code due to the fact that fashion has changed greatly since the original dress code was first implemented.

“We want to revisit [the dress code] and the feedback I’ve gotten from students is that it’s a little bit outdated,” he said.

Dr. Ahern has noticed that 80% of the dress code is predominantly directed at females, and his goal is to create a more gender neutral dress code that also leaves room for creativity in the fashion world. He hopes to implement this dress code by spring of 2016.

Dr. Ahern has been having meetings during access advisory to hear student input and opinions about what should be included in the new dress code.

“Having some student voice in the process [of deciding the dress code] is very important to me,” Ahern said. “There’s a two-fold strategy; the first, obviously is to generate student voice.”

A panel of nine students at his meeting have offered suggestions on how to improve the dress code, such as making spaghetti straps, bra straps and shoulders acceptable to be shown. They and Dr. Ahern have also taken into account what is considered “fashionable” in today’s culture to model a new dress code.

The panel have also discussed how breaking of the dress code should be reprimanded. They have mentioned that students feel singled out when given a dress cut in the middle of class.

“You feel uncomfortable if you’re called out for wearing something that’s seen as inappropriate,” senior Sophie Smith said.

Dr. Ahern has been taking the students’ opinions very seriously and is taking all the suggestions into consideration while establishing the new, updated dress code. He believes it is incredibly important to have this dialogue with the students as a principal.

“This [having the meetings] is really nice, being able to talk to a principal and tell him all of our opinions,” Smith said.

Ms. Jennie Drummond, the Art 2 teacher, agrees with Dr. Ahern in his decision to consider the students’ opinions for this new policy as well.

“I think it’s super important we’re having this discussion,” she said. “I’m a firm believer that the dress code isn’t fair.”

Dr. Ahern has also noticed that it is very rare that someone finds clothing that abide by the previous dress code.

Most shorts you look at in a store barely have an inch seam, which makes finding school dress code abiding shorts for hot weather very difficult,” says sophomore Paulina Fisher.

By spring, an updated and polished dress code should be implemented.