Scholarships: one for just about everything

Hanrin Cho, Staff Writer

Are you left-handed? Are you a twin? Are you under four feet and ten inches? Do you consider yourself an ‘average student’, but with a creative mind?

Well if you have any of this traits, you can qualify for many of the bizarre scholarships out there!

As the end of the year comes closer, more juniors are planning ahead not only for their senior year, but also for what college they’ll be attending- which brings up the inevitable question of how they’ll be paying for it.

But don’t fear– advice for scholarships is here.

“One of the biggest mistakes about scholarships is that people don’t take the time to apply,” said career center coordinator and college advisor Cathy Haberl said. “Many people don’t utilize opportunities because they have to write an essay or so, but when was the last time you got $500 for writing an essay?”

On Naviance, information for scholarships appears beginning from August 1st, and continue until the deadline for the scholarship has passed. To access the list, click the “Colleges” tab, then go to “Scholarship List.”

This isn’t the only site to look for scholarships- there are plenty of sources to look for scholarships, shown in the table below.

Websites for Scholarship Searches: Description:
Naviance Family Connection List of scholarships under “Colleges” tab
FastWeb General scholarship search
FinAid General scholarship search
Zinch General scholarship search
Student Scholarships General scholarship search
UNCF Scholarships for African American students
HSF Scholarships for Latino students
APIASF Scholarships for Asian Americans
NCAA Scholarships for athletes
Cal Grants Cal Grant information
Western Undergraduate Exchange Discounted tuition for California students at some western area public universities

“Actually, the first source I would look towards is local scholarships,” said Haberl. “Because of the smaller area it applies to, people are more likely to qualify for it.”

Even as students and teachers alike expect senioritis, it’s important for seniors not to let their grades slide too far: many college freshman are put on academic probation after slacking in their last year of high school.

However, a far more serious result could also be a consequence: revoking admission.

“Unfortunately, rescinding does happen,” Haberl said. “Sometimes it happens just as students are getting ready to move into the dorms on-campus, and it’s really just sad for everyone.”

Strange Scholarships Description
Little People of America For people 4 feet, 10 inches or shorter.
Tall Clubs International Women at 5 feet, 10 inches or tallerMen at 6 feet, 2 inches or taller
David Letterman Telecommunications Scholarship $10,000 for an ‘average’ student with a creative mind
Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship $2,000 for the best written plan for survival tactics if your school were under a zombie apocalypse
Twitter Scholarship $1400 for a tweet on how Twitter can be used to improve the world
American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship Severl $2,000 scholarships given away all by answering a 10-question, online quiz about fire safety to be entered into a drawing