Above and beyond: AP honor roll

Stephanie Toong, Staff Writer

SRVUSD Recognized for AP Achievement (Three words to describe AP: Tests, Homework, and Studying)

The San Ramon Valley Unified School District has been recognized by the College Board for the number of students earning scores of 3 out of 5 or higher on the Advanced Placement Exams.

In 2013 and 2014, almost 40% of SRVUSD’s 10th-12th graders enrolled in an Advanced Placement class. Of that, 88% acquired a score a 3 or higher on Advanced Placement Exams.

In 2014, more than 3,800 colleges and universities around the world received AP scores for college credit, advanced placement, and consideration in the admission process, with many colleges and universities in the United States offering credit for qualifying AP scores.

Districts on the AP achievement list were selected based on expanding opportunity for students and improving performance. The College Board looked at AP data from 2008 to 2010. Districts that increased participation from 4 to 11 percent (depending on the size of the district) and improved/ maintained the percentage scoring 3 or higher in AP testing were recognized. The increase of exams taken by African American, Latino and American Indian students were also taken in account.

Most schools require a score of 3 or higher on any given exam for credit to be granted; 5 being ‘extremely well qualified’, and 1 being a ‘no recommendation’. SRVUSD is one of the 547 districts across the U.S. and Canada to earn a place on the College Board’s AP District Honor Roll. This is the fifth year in a row that SRVUSD has received this merit.

MVHS offers many different AP courses, such as AP United States History, AP European History, AP English Language, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Environmental Science,  AP Studio Art, AP Statistics, and AP Calculus, just to name a few.

Advanced Placements courses are college level courses that are taught in high school. Students are taught a strict and rigorous depth of material following the College Board’s required elements for each course.

The purpose of the AP program is to challenge students to be competitive with other students throughout the nation on challenging AP exams. By successfully completing these exams, students earn college credit for courses taken in high school and is a bonus for students and their families when facing the rising costs of college education.

Still, students should proceed with caution. Unless they know they can perform on an outstanding level, receive top grades and keep up with the curriculum, students should reconsider taking AP classes. Colleges don’t always accept the courses for college credit, many students end up repeating the course in college anyway.

Many high achieving high school students are really stressed out. They have a lot to do between extracurricular activities and homework and also trying to get the sleep they need. They need to be prepared for what an AP course involves.

The extra tests, extra homework, on top of an already demanding schedule, can be brutal. And a very low grade on a transcript from an AP course may hurt more in the long run than not taking an AP in that subject at all.

“Advanced Placement courses and exams offer an excellent opportunity for students to prepare for the rigor of college coursework,” said SRVUSD Superintendent Mary Shelton. “We are fortunate to have teachers and administrators who are dedicated to identifying students who are ready for AP and preparing them for success. I applaud our students for their hard work and achievements.”

Helping more students learn at a higher level and earn higher AP scores is an objective of all members of the AP community, from AP teachers to district and school administrators to college professors.

“I prepare my students for the AP English Literature test in May,” Jenyth Utchen said. “Some of them receive ‘AP Scholar’ after they’ve passed several AP exams, but that is based on their test results and not on any additional preparation.”