eXtra contribution

Reilly Olson, Op/Ed Editor

Best known for grueling workouts and 3 mile races, cross country is not the first thing one generally thinks of when the idea of charity and donations comes up.

Fortunately for the Save Mount Diablo Foundation, our own Monte Vista team comes together annually to give back to the community.

Head coach Mike Davis is one of the most passionate supporters of this initiative.

“Save Mt Diablo has been the most common charity selected, since the cross country team trains in and around the trails that surround the mountain,” Davis said. “The team runs up the mountain in the fall, and of course, trains there often.”

Over the years, the chosen charities have included:  Contra Costa Food Bank, The Monument Crisis Center,  Save the Children Organization and Save Mount Diablo.

The venue for this event is the annual Overnight Relay put on with the help of dedicated parents and coaches. Besides being a fantastic bonding experience, runners can donate in the name of the event.

The Overnight Relay is an over 20 year tradition for the cross country team.  It lasts for 12 hours, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., on a freezing October night. The team usually runs over 100 miles cumulatively.

“While the purpose of the overnight relay is primarily a team bonding exercise, the fact that we are raising funds for a local charity is something that both the MV Administration, and the SRVUSD likes and endorses,” Davis said. “ It helps convince people that this is a worthwhile event.”

Five hundred dollars in total were donated this year, directly from the student athletes. Since choosing the Save Mount Diablo Foundation in 2006, over six thousand dollars have been donated from MV students.