The power of perception

Samantha Teshima, Managing Editor

Seniors are in the midst of working to finish college applications.

For some, this is a stressful time while others do not find this time any different than usual.

What is the difference? Perception? Senior Derek Cross, for example, has not felt the common stress of college applications.

“They shouldn’t be so stressful,” he said. “but students put so much pressure on them that they become so.”

Positive outlook plays an important role, especially during the impressionable high school years. Negative outlook also impacts students’ lives. If we think that we will have a miserable day, chances are, we will not have the best day.

Even though our perception can have an effect toward a successful outcome, there are limitations, especially if we lack certain skills or training.

“A mental outlook does affect the outcome to some extent, depending on the situation,” Cross said. “If you tell yourself you can run a three-minute mile first time then you can try but you will fail. But if you tell yourself that someday you want to run a three-minute mile and you are really determined you have the capacity to do it.”

Most of us have heard of placebos, which are “sugar-pills” prescribed for psychological benefits. They may initially alleviate the symptom, but in reality, this “medicine” has no curative power. It is simply the perception on the part of the person taking the placebo who believes it will heal.

Perceptions of good outcomes will take us only so far. While it is crucial to dream big, we must keep in touch with reality and keep our lives real. Sunny disposition and a positive outlook are important, but we must also be practical.

“You can think and convince yourself that you can survive a shot to the head, but when you get shot you will likely die,” Cross said. “Mindset will go as long as the result you’re looking for is still realistic.”

Senior Kaavian Shariati believes that staying positive is still an important factor.

“If you have a positive mindset, you’re more likely to see the brighter side of circumstances that you’re placed in,” he said.

As we finish up our college applications, let’s all keep that glass-half-full attitude.