A cappella; MV goes vocal

The a cappella group gathers on a Friday afternoon to rehearse and perfect their masterpieces. Laughing and joking, they enjoy their time together and has fun singing in harmony.

As of fall 2014, Monte Vista can proudly boast a group of talented singers creating music with only their voices, lead by the new choir director with large shoes to fill.

When Jodi Reed, the new teacher, started the a cappella group, it was formed for the enjoyment of the students and the chance to expose them to the music trend today. There was a great turn-out, and seventy-five students auditioned. Unfortunately, Reed could only select up to 22 students for the group.

Reed decided to create both a competing team and a class to prepare students for next year.

The students part of a cappella find it just as enjoyable as Reed does.

“The best part of being in a capella is the bonding with the group and how you grow closer,” said Joshua Manela, a senior in the a cappella group. “Our practices are really fun and energetic and never fails to be that way.”

The group was formed for the enjoyment and education of the students. However, members have to be committed, to hold their own parts, and to sing in tune. They also need to be capable of learning music quickly and adding to the music.

For inspiration, Reed looked to her children, who often listen to a cappella groups for entertainment.

“Gosh,” Reed said, “If kids are interested in this, it might be a chance to give more [kids] an exposure to more local music.”

A cappella is the art of creating music solely through the voices of the singers. They aren’t weighed down with the requirement of an accompanist or instrumental music. Students will learn vocal percussion and to mimic instruments.

“It’s creating something out of nothing,” said Reed.

The a cappella group will be performing at school concerts, starting with the Bach to School Night on October 22nd-23rd. Beyond that, they’re also going to compete. The class will also be performing, though not as often.

The songs they’ll be performing will be closer to the current music trend; modern, pop, contemporary, and more local. It’s taking singing to the next level, with solely their voices.

Currently, they are working on a rendition of Sail/Feeling Good by the Vanderbilt Melodores and Fix You by Coldplay.

“The best part is being there when it all comes together,” said Reed.

The a cappella group will be performing for the very first time for the Bach to School Concert tonight and tomorrow night in the Al Gentile Theater. The class of 45 will be performing at the Dessert Show at Roundhill and the last show on May 21.

The future’s looking bright for this brand new batch of talent.

“The a capella group is a talented bunch and are dedicated to make themselves be amazing,” Reed said.